Friday, March 14, 2008

Introduction to "United State's Melting Pot: Who Can We Choose to Be?

Writer’s Choice: “United State’s Melting Pot: Who can We Chose to Be?” was an important write for me. I have long wondered about the very issues with which this paper dealt. It was also an emotional paper, requiring me to dredge up sad memories my mother shared with me years ago about her childhood in Montana. My mother shared those memories with me in an attempt to help me understand why I should not judge people based on race. I felt that in writing this paper, I in a little way am carrying on her desire to encourage people to pause and consider the foolishness of any argument which gives race as the determiner of worth. I touched on this when I wrote, “ Her early experiences were peppered with tales of what it was like to grow up as a white Native American in a town and a time which frowned first upon having a mix heritage, and second, being a Native American.” I needed to include this piece because it gave me a means to voice not just my warm and gentle emotions or humor, but also my opinions. So, as you read this piece, I would ask you to remember this line: “hope still exists that Americans will embrace the simple recognition that race is a social opinion and not a biological one.”

No comments: